You are here:Home » islamophobia » I Want To Say Yes

I Want To Say Yes



As Salamu-Alaykum, my lovelies!

I'll be at Nando's tomorrow evening for dinner. My friend wants to meet up, and I really like their Peri Peri chips. We'll walk in together, my friend and I, and we'll be seated next to you. Yes. Fate will bring you and I together.

My friend will get up to place an order. Out of the corner of my eye, I'll notice that you keep stealing glances at me. You're speaking to your friends in a language I don't quite understand. I like the sound of your language. I wish I learned it in school.

My friend will return five minutes later. She'll sit opposite me. There's me, and there's her. There's two of us now. On the same day. At the same place. You'll never be able to stop staring now.

I'll hear it first.

My ears will be perked up, although you can't see them beneath the 'symbol of oppression' wrapped around my head. I'll hear it the way you hear your name being carried by the wind. Faint. Muffled. Almost as if it didn't happen at all.

But no, I'll hear it when you say 'bomb', neatly knitted into the fabric of your foreign conversation. You seem so cheerful. I must have misheard you.

French.

Maybe Italian.

I'm desperately trying to cling onto your every word. I'm trying to catch a phrase I understand. My friend keeps babbling. I wish she'd be quiet.

'Bomb. Tick, tick, tick.'

You all erupt in laughter. I know my ears are fine because now my friend is quiet. She's staring at me and I'm staring at her and her face is full of questions. I know what she's asking. I want to say yes.

Yes, we're in London.

Yes, the year is 2015.

And yes, I think we just witnessed our first bout of Islamophobia.


NEVER give in to attention-seekers. 
There's always that one moron in a million.
May Allah (SWT) provide us with the patience to deal with those fools.
 


4 comments:

  1. Wow. People disgust me sometimes. What this world is coming to is a world I dont want to live in. People are so awful and have no respect. Thank you for sharing this with us and the way it was written was phenominal by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, it's just insane. London is meant to be one of the most multicultural cities in the world, so I can only imagine what things must be like elsewhere. Thankfully, this was the only time I experienced something like this... so I'm labelling it an anomaly. Thank you for the compliment by the way, I'm really glad you liked it :-) xx

      Delete
  2. waw how you wrote it tho! You're amazing, and these people are not worth it. Muslim and proud girl! Alhamdulillah :) They can't understand. Take care hun' and may Allah keep you safe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Nahye! You're always too kind :-)

      Ameen to your prayers... may Allah keep us all safe. They really will never understand... but we do, Alhamdulillah :-) xx

      Delete